Clontarf Bridge opened 1 January 1912.
This Scherzer rolling lift, bascule bridge over the South Lee Channel, was installed at the same time as Brian Boru Bridge, to link the former West Cork Railway terminus at Albert Quay with the Great Southern and Western terminus. Both bridges featured steel spans supplied by the Cleaveland Bridge and Engineering Company fitted onto 6 circular piers and they functioned as lifting railway bridges until 1976 when the lifting gear was removed and they became fixed. Clontarf Bridge has decorative iron parapet railings stamped with McBRIDE CORK and there are defunct iron lamp standards attached to these.
Clontarf or Cluain Tarbh means pasture of the bulls.
Following re-decking in 1957, and replacement of a fractured supporting girder after collision of a boat in November 1965, Clontarf Bridge was reconstructed in 1981 by Bowen and Mullally under the supervision of consulting engineer Joe Shinkwin and the City Engineer, Sean McCarthy.
National Inventory of Architectural Heritage reference number: 20508001
- Cox, R & Gould, M. (2003) Ireland’s Bridges Wolfhound Press , Dublin
- Tuckey, F.H. (1837 (reprint 1980)) The County and City of Cork Remembrancer Tower Books, Cork
- O’Callaghan, A. (1991) Of Timber, Iron and Stone: Bridges of Cork Inversnaid Publications
- Crowley et al. (2005) Atlas of Cork City Cork University Press, Cork
- McNamara, T.F. (1981) Portrait of Cork Watermans, Cork
- O’Keeffe, P.J. & Simmington, T. (1991) Irish Stone Bridges: History and Heritage Irish Academic Press, Dublin
- O’Sullivan, S (1975) An Epic of Bridges Series in Cork Evening Echo in July 1975
- Rynne, C. (1999) The Industrial Archaeology of Cork City and its Environs The stationary office, Dublin
- Walsh, M. (1981) Cork Bridges in The Engineers’ Journal, Vol. 34, No. 7, 8 (July, August)
Return to Main Page